Saturday, February 24, 2007

I Met A Blind Man Once

I met a Blind Man once, afflicted with the loss since he was born
He was tapping his cane on the pavement, walking all alone
A wave of pity rose in me, rage at a Fate so unfair
That one should be denied the pleasure of seeing things fair

I met a Blind Man once, we spent a nice long time chatting
I spoke to him of sights wondrous, which he must be missing
the green fields, the blue skies, the breaking of the sun's light
how does one explain the concept of colour to one with no sight

I met a Blind Man once, I found him very happy, to my surprise,
He told me of why he was grateful, for the simple joys of Life
for the warmth of the sun on his cheeks, a baby's sweet clear laughter
the sweet singing of the birds, the twinkling sound of rushing water

I met a Blind Man once, not once did he complain
He was busy counting his blessings, no time to feel pain
What a change it was from the usual complaints I heard
the backbiting, the gossip that we at office shared

I met a Blind Man once , so peaceful he was amidst the strife,
He showed me all that had been missing in my life
Lost in my daily routine between home and office
I never knew I had been missing such joys

I met a Blind man once , he brought about a change not slight
He taught me "seeing" is much much more than mere sight
I met a Blind Man once, he was one of the rare happy few
Looking back, I wonder who was the more blind of the two.

6 comments:

redwaterstew said...

great thought. you shine well in poems. Was seeing a movie on Ray Charles, the Jazz great and it illustrates why being blind is a state of mind

Risha said...

Beautiful poem.Sometimes I need lessons in living...in fact a lot of times.

Chitra Shenoy said...

very nice poem sachin..Wonderful thought indeed..It just reminded me of how I take things for granted..We often forget to count our blessings and are too busy complaining of each and every thing..

reetuashwin said...

Sachin , A Beautiful Poem Indeed..
& Very nice Thoughts.., to Convey what one misses, in rush..

"He told me of why he was grateful, for the simple joys of Life
for the warmth of the sun on his cheeks, a baby's sweet clear laughter
the sweet singing of the birds, the twinkling sound of rushing water"
"seeing" is much much more than mere sight

- Liked these lines..

Anurag said...

lovely poem
really beautiful

had me thinking for a while......that we are really blind

Sachin R K said...

@redwaterstew - njan krithaarthanaayi :)

@risha - thanks :)

@chitra - happens to me all the time :)

@reetu - much appreciated :)

@anurag - Thanks dude :)